You are here
BAAHE Annual Conference on Adaptation
Generaal Jacqueslaan 271, 1050 Brussels
- 8:30 – 9:00 Welcome coffee
- 9:00 – 9:15 Opening
- 9:15 – 10:15 Keynote Eckart Voigts (TU Braunschweig), "Recombinant Appropriation: Remix, Mashup, Parody"
- 10:15 – 11:30 Session 1:
- Metadiscourses – Chair: Christophe Collard
- Sarah Bay Cheng (Bowdoin College), "Unseen: Intermedial Adaptations for Viewing New Media Performances."
- Patrick Hart (Bilkent U), “Adda murì: Cesare deve morire as metadaptation.”
- Seda Ilter (Birkbeck College, U of London), "Alternative Texts: Thinking about Written Texts in Mediatised Theatre."
- 11:30 - 11:45 Coffee break
- 11:45 – 13:00 Session 2:
- Adaptation & the US – Chair: Claire Swyzen
- Frédéric Maurin (U. Sorbonne Nouvelle – Paris 3), "The Fountainhead in Ivo van Hove’s œuvre."
- Giorgio Busi-Rizzi (Bologna U., KULeuven), “Telling it the American Way: From ITV’s Broadchurch to Fox’s Gracepoint.”
- Simon Labate (U. de Namur), “La Classe américaine: Film Collage and Dubbing”
- 13:00 – 13:45 Lunch
- 13:45 – 14:30 Annual General Meeting & Proclamation of the BAAHE Thesis Award 2015
- 14:30 – 15:45 Session 3:
- Cultural Transitions & Shifts – Chair: Liesbeth Bekers
- Julia Szołtysek (U. of Silesia, Poland). “Harems, Pashas, and Mistaken Identities: Mis/Appropriations of the Middle East in Adaptations of W. A. Mozart’s Die Entführung aus dem Serail.”
- Carolin Crespo (U. of Granada), "The Image of the Canonical Author in the 21st Century – Uncreative Repetition in Shakespeare in Love, Molière and Young Goethe in Love."
- Janine Hauthal (VUB/FWO), “Rewriting ‘White’ Genres in Search of Afro-European Identities: Travel and Crime Fiction by Bernardine Evaristo and Mike Phillips.”
- 15:45 – 16:00 Coffee break
- 16:00 – 17:15 Session 4:
- Novel to Play/Script & Back – Chair: Janine Hauthal
- Michael Perfect (Bilkent U), “Midnight’s Children Reborn? Rushdie’s Adaptation.”
- Claus-Peter Neumann (U of Zaragoza). “The Idiots Karamazov by Christopher Durang and Albert Innaurato – a Multi-layered Adaptation of Sorts”
- Georgina Lock (Nottingham Trent U), "How to do it? Practical Adaptation in Process: Screenplay to Novel."
- 17:15 – Concluding remarks & Drink
For students participation is free. For non-students the conference fee is €25.00 for BAAHE members and €40.00 for non-BAAHE members. This includes the coffee breaks, a sandwich lunch and a drinks reception.
All speakers and participants are kindly requested to register online and to transfer the fee (if applicable) to the VUB’s bank account via the conference link.
More information on becoming a BAAHE member can be found on the BAAHE website.