University programme to help refugees
The VUB (Vrije Universiteit Brussel) actively supports the integration of refugees and encourages those with an academic background or academic ambition to make use of the various opportunities offered on campus.
The ‘Welcome Student-refugee program’ was developed in the wake of the emerging refugee crisis in Europe in 2015-2016. Along with this large influx of people we noticed that 11% of the people arriving in Belgium were studying in their home country. Many of these young people had to abruptly stop their studies and flee to a safer place to live. The Vrije Universiteit Brussel has developed this program to focus on the potential students with a refugee background to give them a fair chance to continue their studies so they can build a better future for themselves.
The VUB took the forefront in developing a specific program for these students. It has been used as an example of good practice for the EUA (European University Association), the ACA (Academic Cooperation Association), UNICA (Network of Universities from the Capitals of Europe) and the EU (European Commission DG Education, Research and Innovation).
All students for this program have to apply via the English website of the VUB. The online registration is a pre-requisite to enter into the study program. It has been set-up to allow a pre-admission check of all students with a refugee background.
Dr. Mohammad Salman
0032 (0)2 629.15.81
For more info on the programmes at the VUB
Please register for an Infoday if you want more info on the programmes and studying at the VUB.
Overview of programmes taught in English
- Applied Sciences and Engineering: Applied Computer Science
- Applied Sciences and Engineering: Computer Science
- Architectural Engineering
- Biology (including ICP Human Ecology)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Biomolecular Sciences
- Business and Technology
- Chemical and Materials Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Communication Studies
- Educational Sciences
- Electromechanical Engineering
- Electronics and Information Technolgy Engineering
- European Mundus Master of Science in Photonics
- International Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering
- Management Science
- Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management
- Molecular Biology
- Multilingual Master in Linguistics and Literary Studies
- Physical Land Resources
- Physics and Astronomy
- Urban Studies (4Cities)
For Dutch Bachelor programmes see:
For Dutch Master programmes see: