U bent hier
New European Data Protection Laws: The Belgian Perspective
Faculteit: Recht en Criminologie
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels
Building Q (QB)
In collaboration with:
The Privacy Hub in collaboration with the Belgian Commission for the Protection of Privacy, Research Centre in Information, Law and Society (Centre de Recherches en Information, Droit et Société) Université de Namur and KU Leuven Centre for IT & IP Law - iMind, will be hosting the second in a series of conferences that focus upon the implementation of the GDPR in Belgium.
On 7 July 2016, the Brussels Privacy Hub will be hosting New European Data Protection Laws: The Belgian Perspective - the GDPR and the Police Directive explained a multi-lingual, multi-sector conference that seeks to provide better understanding of the implications of upcoming EU rules on legal professionals working with Belgian public authorities and companies.
10:30 - Registration (Mandela Room)
11: 00 - Conference Opening: Philippe De Backer, Secretary of State for Privacy
11:15 – Conference Plenary session: Bringing EU Data Protection Reform to Belgium [EN]
Chair: Paul de Hert (VUB)
- The GDPR and international data transfers, Christopher Kuner, VUB
- Introducing the Data Protection Directive to Belgian police and criminal justice authorities, Juraj Sajfert, European Commission, DG Justice, Fundamental Rights Directorate
- Reflections on the GDPR and Police Directive from the Belgian DPA, Willem Debeuckelaere, Belgian Privacy Commission
- European data protection reforms and the impact on Belgian legal professionals, Patrick Van Eecke, DLA Piper
12.30 – Lunch (Mandela Room)
13:30 – Belgian business under the new Regulation: Panel [FR, NL, EN]
Chair: Caroline Louveaux, Mastercard
- Tanguy van Overstraeten, Linklaters LLP [NL]
- Cédric Burton, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, Brussels [FR]
- Joëlle Jouret, Belgian Privacy Commission [FR]
- Frederik Peels, ExxonMobil [NL]
- Bénédicte Losdyck, CRIDS, University of Namur [FR]
- Jan Dhont, Alston & Bird [NL]
14:30 – Coffee (Mandela Room)
14:45 – New European Data Protection Laws: Understanding the implications for Belgian Police and Governments: Panel [FR, NL, EN]
Chair: Hielke Hijmans, VUB/EDPS
- Ronny Saelens, LSTS, VUB/ Belgian Privacy Commission [NL]
- Els Kindt, KU Leuven [NL]
- Romain Robert, EDPS [FR]
- Maria Zaccaria, Belgian Federal Police [FR]
- Anne Teughels, Vlaamse Toezichtcommissie [NL]
15:45 – Conference closing remarks
The conference will be held in English, French and Dutch.
The event has been accredited by the following organisations:
- IAPP Continuing Privacy Education: 4 CPEs
- Francophone Bar Association (Avocats.be, Ordre des barreaux francophones et germanophone de Belgique): agréée à concurrence de 4 points
- Flemish Bar Association (Orde van Vlaamse Balies) - Dossiern° : 2015-03444: points to be confirmed.
Brussels Privacy Hub,
Law Science, Technology & Society Research Group,
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Registration can only be made online using credit card/bancontact - upon completion of payment you will receive a confirmation email as proof of payment. Please keep your device ready for the electronical signature and ensure that you complete all processes of the online registration to successfully complete payment and registration.
Cancellation must be done in writing.
Cancellation 2 weeks before the conference: 50% refund
Cancellation less than 2 weeks before the conference: no refund available.