In October 2006, I started a PhD dissertation under the supervision of Prof. Dr Karin Nys (Archaeology) and Prof. Dr Philippe Claeys (Geology) at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel in a multidisciplinary geoarchaeological project pertaining to the study of men and palaeoenvironment in the southeast of Cyprus. A part of this project concerns the identification of the provenance of the raw material utilized in production of pottery and potential source changes during the Late Bronze Age. It tests the use of lead isotopic signatures as a tracer of ancient pottery sources. Read more...
2007 - Academic Teacher Training - Aggregate Art Sciences and Archaeology, (Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
2005 - Master in Eastern Mediterranean Archaeology (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven)
Thesis: Enigmatic Architecture: The Late Cypriote IIC Basin Building in Maroni-Vournes
2003 - Master in Art Sciences and Archaeology (Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
Thesis: Ancient Furniture in Cyprus: from the Cypro-Geomtric till the Cypro-Archaic Periods (In Dutch)
Selection of Publications
- Renson, V., Coenaerts, J., Nys, K., Mattielli, N., Vanhaecke, F., Fagel, N. & Claeys, P., “Lead Isotopic Analysis for the Identification of Late Bronze Age Pottery from Hala Sultan Tekke (Cyprus), Archaeometry (online April 2010).
- Coenaerts, J. & Samaes, M., “Rise, Peak and Fall. Towards an Interpretation of Site Organisation in south-east Cyprus during the Late Bronze Age”, in: A. Jacobs & K. Nys (eds), Cypriot Material Culture Studies: From Picrolite Carving to Proskynetaria. Proceedings of the 8th Annual Postgraduate Cypriot Archaeology Conference Held in Memory of Paul Åström, at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Belgium) from 27 to 29th November 2008, forthcoming.
- M. Samaes & J. Coenaerts, ‘Exchange between South-East Cyprus and the Surrounding Regions in the East Mediterranean during the Late Bronze Age’, IN: K. Duistermaat & I. Regulski (Eds), Proceedings of the Intercultural Contacts in the Ancient Mediterranean (ICAM) Conference. Cairo, 25-29 October 2008 (in press).
- V. Renson, J. Coenaerts, N. Matielli, P. Åström, P., K. Nys & P. Claeys, 'Provenance Determination of Pottery from Hala Sultan Tekke Using Lead Isotopic Analysis: Preliminary Results', in: P. Åström, P. & K. Nys (eds), Hala Sultan Tekke 12. Stone Anchors, Faunal Remains and Pottery Provenance (SIMA 45), Sävedalen 2007, 53-62.
- J. Coenaerts & M. Samaes, 'The Ram Throne: A True Type of Cypriote Furniture?', Report of the Department of Antiquities Cyprus 2006, 238-259.
- J. Coenaerts, 'Enigmatic Architecture. The Late Cypriote II Basin Building in Maroni-Vournes. An Approach for the Exploration of an Appropriate Function', Journal of Prehistoric Religion XIX-XX, 4-39.