In December 2007, I started a PhD dissertation under the supervision of Prof. Dr Karin Nys at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. My interest goes to the degree of sustainability in the past. My research area is mainly concentrated on the Late Bronze Age site of Hala Sultan Tekke in southeast Cyprus. In particular, the latest occupation phase of the settlement will be analysed and interpreted. The aim is to consider the possible factors which may have contributed to the final abandonment of the site. Read more…
2007 - Academic Teacher Training - Aggregate Art Sciences and Archaeology, (Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
2003 - Master in Art Sciences and Archaeology (Vrije Universiteit Brussel)
Thesis: Ancient Furniture in Cyprus: from the Cypro-Classical till the Roman Periods (In Dutch)
Selection of Publications
- Samaes, M. and Nys, K., “T. 1, MLA 1173, An Extra-Urban Tomb of the Late Bronze Age Site near Hala Sultan Tekke” (in press).
- Coenaerts, J. & Samaes, M., “Rise, Peak and Fall. Towards an Interpretation of Site Organisation in south-east Cyprus during the Late Bronze Age”, in: A. Jacobs & K. Nys (eds), Cypriot Material Culture Studies: From Picrolite Carving to Proskynetaria. Proceedings of the 8th Annual Postgraduate Cypriot Archaeology Conference Held in Memory of Paul Åström, at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (Belgium) from 27 to 29th November 2008 (in press).
- M. Samaes & J. Coenaerts, ‘Exchange between South-East Cyprus and the Surrounding Regions in the East Mediterranean during the Late Bronze Age’, IN: K. Duistermaat & I. Regulski (Eds), Proceedings of the Intercultural Contacts in the Ancient Mediterranean (ICAM) Conference. Cairo, 25-29 October 2008 (in press).
- J. Coenaerts & M. Samaes, 'The Ram Throne: A True Type of Cypriote Furniture?', Report of the Department of Antiquities Cyprus 2006, 238-259.
- M. Yon, Kition de Chypre. Guides archéologiques de l’Institut français du Proche-Orient 4, Paris 2006, Book Review by M. Samaes online http://www.akkadica.org/librorum.htm