Communication Studies: New Media and Society in Europe
The Master of Communication Studies is a one-year (60 ECTS) academic master with a focus on New Media and Society in Europe. This unique English language programme focuses on the rapidly changing field of media and communication in a European context. The programme takes an original interdisciplinary approach and allows students to concentrate on business, policy and/or user aspects of new media. The VUB also offers a second Master option in Communication Studies with a focus on Journalism and Media in Europe.Find out more on approach, admission requirements and tuition fees
Students have their say
The international character of the Master appealed to me because of the fact that the different cultures and backgrounds give different views on the same theory. It's interesting because it feels like gaining information from the people that experience it themselves.
The programme provides students with multidisciplinary knowledge about communication and new media in European society. Professors are friendly and eager to help, therefore the academic atmosphere is very pleasant. I would highly recommend it to students who are interested in gaining theoretical insight into the communication sector of the EU.
My master studies offered the chance to research the sports-health field and that was most fascinating to me, as I work as a certified sports instructor. In addition, I could choose from the many optional courses exactly those that were most relevant for my research and as a result get new perspectives on many innovative subjects.
The study programme consists of a good theoretical and methodological framework with a lot of must-read literature from the media area. Discussions in class draw conclusions and real life comparisons.
A historical foundation is created in the first semester and I am looking forward to the turnout of the upcoming semester.
after your education
If you want to continue your academic career, you can apply for a PhD position at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. All you need is a promoter, research subject and sufficient funding. Are you up for this challenge?
This master provides you with subject knowledge and analytical skills that will offer you multiple opportunities on the job market. Possible employers are:
- Media companies working at the European level or whose work is influenced by European decision-making
- European institutions working in the field of new media and society
- Lobby organisations trying to influence Europe's innovation and communication policies
- International companies with headquarters is Brussels
Possible jobs are:
- Strategic management positions related to innovation and R&D
- Strategic analyst of European communication markets
- Policy analyst for media and telecommunications companies
- Strategic analyst of user studies for communications companies
- Scientific collaborator or researcher in the area of new media and society in Europe
The VUB helps you to make your first step in the job market with workshops, networking events, job fairs, tips ‘n tricks for job interviews. All an ambitious student needs!